The government palace in Lima exists since the year the city was founded in 1535, but in different forms. It was built in a Huaca, a sanctuary of the chief Taulichusco in the Rímac Valley. This valley was one of the few places that, due to the irrigation systems of the indigenous population, is very fertile and, therefore, suitable for a larger population. Over the centuries, the government palace in the “City of Kings” was rebuilt again and again. The first building, a two-story adobe building, was built by the city’s founder, Francisco Pizarro, first for him. After Peru became a viceroyalty in 1542, the “Casa de Pizarro” became a government palace. Pizarro’s shield still adorns the main portal. The current building dates back to the 1930s and is preserved in a colonial style, but it has older and newer elements, typical of the representative buildings of Peru, which have been regularly damaged by earthquakes and renovated in their respective architectural styles. The Government Palace is located in the Plaza Mayor, the main square of Lima. Share the exclusive place with, among other things, the cathedral and the episcopal palace. It is recognizable by the great Peruvian flag that blows over the portal and the intricately forged fence that surrounds the terrain.
The palace interior of the Palacio de Gobierno
In the Government Palace there are several ceremonial rooms, named after important personalities of Peruvian history: the history after colonization, keep this in mind. Particularly worth seeing is the “golden living room”, a room richly decorated with paintings, chandeliers and an ornate vaulted ceiling. An indication of the great difficulty that the Spaniards had to destroy the indigenous power structures of Peru, but also of the fact that this has been recently recognized, is the old “Sala Pizarro”, which since 1972 has been “Sala Túpac-Amaru -II “. “It is called and serves as a press room.” Túpac Amaru II was the last indigenous ruler, who participated in an uprising against the ruling powers along with parts of the immigrant population, the ideal counterpart being the “Sala de la Paz”, in the The peace treaty with Honduras and El Salvador was signed in this room, adorning a two-ton glass chandelier.In the garden of the palace, which is as well preserved as the building itself, a fig tree grows, supposedly by Pizarro himself This would have the tree an age of almost 500 years and would be the last original piece of the foundation period.
Stay overnight near The Palacio de Gobierno del Peru