The Plaza de Armas, also referred to as the Plaza Mayor in Lima by foreigners, is the ideal center of the city of Lima, founded in 1535 by Francisco Pizarro. After all, this one here, on the edge of the square, laid the first stone of Lima Cathedral on the day the city was founded. The cathedral, together with the archbishop’s palace occupies the entire east side. The north side is bounded by the government palace. There is still the change of guard at noon an attraction for visitors. On the west side is the Palacio de la Unión (Palace of Unity) and the City Hall of Lima. In addition to the long-standing institutions, modernity has also found its way to the Plaza Mayor, for example in the form of a shopping center on the south side.