The northern wall of the Fortaleza de Collique has gained notoriety as Muralla de Tungasuca. This has to do mainly with the fact that it was discovered in aerial photographs of the 1940s that the wall was once much higher than the remains show today.
It is even believed that the wall was so long that it reached the shore of today’s Oquendo beach. The dramatic decline caused the desire to protect and promote the remains of the Colli culture, which ruled since 1100 AD in the valley of the Chillón River. The reason for the abandonment of the archaeologically valuable place was the constant growth of Lima.
Especially in the outskirts, immigration was poorly controlled, the sites of the first villages disappeared because they provided the new settlers with free construction material. The investigation of the Colli is not yet complete, several historians even argue about the name. One of the people who works intensely in this culture and its remains is Enrique Niquin Castillo, who opened a small museum in the district of Comas and presents several findings of the Colli.