In the middle of the historic center, surrounded by other colonial churches, is the church of San Pedro. It is also one of the religious buildings built by the Spaniards in the sixteenth century shortly after the founding of Lima. With its facade of homogeneous design, the Peterskirche is a good example of the neoclassical style.
The church and the adjacent monastery are administered by the order of the Jesuits. The existing building is the third in this place and was inaugurated in 1638. The story is typical of Lima: after the first construction was completed, since space was not enough for the large community, a second church was quickly built. Both were very simple adobe buildings, which were also affected by earthquakes.
With the growing wealth of the order of the Jesuits came the desire for a more magnificent and lasting construction. In other aspects, however, the church is completely atypical: while many buildings from the colonial era show a mixture of different architectural styles that have been renewed over the centuries after earthquakes and fires, the San Pedro Church it has a purely neoclassical aspect. They are also emphasized at night by the illumination of the facade. Another special feature of the church are the three entrance doors, a feature that is reserved for the Cathedral of Lima in the Plaza Mayor. For this reason, the two additional doors must remain closed and can only be opened for important religious events.